Glasgow Institute of Architects

Architects Zone


www.gia.org.uk
The Glasgow Institute of Architects has its origins in the Glasgow Architectural Society, the members of which first met in Alexander Thomson’s Scottish Exhibition Rooms in Bath Street on 14 January 1858 to establish a society for Glasgow and the West of Scotland. Eligible for ordinary membership were “trades and professions connected with building operations”, hence among the first Councillors of the fledgling Society were John Mossman (Sculptor), John Cairney (Glass Stainer), Robert McConnell (Ironfounder), and the more familiar names of architects Alexander Thomson, John Burnet, Charles Wilson and James Salmon.