Front door – when is it worth to replace them?
The front door is supposed to stop the burglar and the heat escaping from the building. Their appearance is also important – it is said that the front door is the showcase of the house.
A few tips for beginner renovators
Remember, that the door should be fitted in after all the wet jobs have been finished, so after the internal plastering and concretes. Make sure that the building is dry and aired out before the door fitting. It is crucial, as in the case of the door being fitted too early, water can get into the inside of the casing and construction, causing permanent damage. That is why the fitting of the door should be one of the last things to be done (also after finishing the floors or fitting floor panels). Read below how to choose front door.
The external door provide heat
A lot of Heat escapes through the front door, as it does through the windows. It is not as important in a block of flats, where the front door leads into a corridor, but when it comes to houses the amount of heat escaping through the front foor should be one of the main factors when it comes to choosing them.
What should the front door be made of?
Front door are made of wood, metal, PVS or even fiberglass, but when it comes to houses, this is usually not the case.
- Wooden doors were the most popular option for centuries. Currently, their frames are made of wood glued in layers, which helps prevent their deformation due to moisture.
- Metal doors consist of a steel or aluminium frame filled with thermal insulation and with metal sheets on the both sides. They can also be covered with decorative veneer.
- The skeleton of steel door (that’s the antiburglar door construction) is made up of sections strengthened with bars (profiled metal sheets, lattice) and filled with thermal isulation foam. The sheathing is made of a steel sheets, thick shaving sheets or waterproof plywood, finished off with a veneer or laminate, imitating wood. Steel door with increased antiburglar parameters are resistant to the attempts of cutting through it or prying it open etc.
- Aluminium doors have frames from two- or three-chamber profiles just like from steel. The frame is filled with aluminium panels, the surface of which can be anodized, powder coated or finished with a veneer. They are drable, long-lasting and rigid.
- Plastic doors are made of multi-chamber profiles of hardened PVC, strengthened with galvanized steel inserts or aluminium. Between the profiles there is filling made of smooth or extruded plastic sheets, often combined with a polyurethane foam insulation layer.
When shouldn’t you replace the front door?
A good quality front door is a big expense for many people. Its replacement, if more serious work with fitting the casing, can total up to a few thousand. The top products of Well-known brands, with the highest standards is a big spend. To save money, some people lower their requirements and decide to purchase cheaper products, with worse parameters.
If the current door is in good state, it is not worth to replace them by compromising finances. It is much better to save money for the investment and make a purchase with no compromises. If the casing of the door is in good condition, it keeps right angles, the door shuts properly, then there is no rush as to replacing it. Sometimes, all that is needed is to regulate it again, change a few bolts and gaskets, or repaint it and then keep saving up to buy a high quality door with good parameters, fulfiling the high expectations of the owner.